If your ignition lock cylinder is damaged, you may need to drill out the old cylinder and install a new one. This can be a tricky process, but with a little patience and the right tools, you can do it yourself.
- Remove the steering wheel to access the ignition lock cylinder
- Use a drill bit slightly smaller than the diameter of the lock cylinder to drill through the center of the cylinder
- Apply pressure to the drill bit as you turn it counterclockwise to drilled out the entire lock cylinder
- Be careful not to damage surrounding areas
- Once the lock cylinder is removed, replace it with a new one and reassemble your steering wheel
How to Remove Ignition Lock Cylinder With Key
Assuming you want tips on how to remove an ignition lock cylinder with a key: If your car has an ignition lock cylinder, it’s important to know how to remove it. Here are some tips:
1. Start by disconnecting the battery. This will help prevent any electrical issues while you’re working on the ignition lock cylinder.
2. Next, locate the retaining screws that hold the ignition lock cylinder in place.
These are usually located on the backside of the steering column cover or near the bottom of the steering column.
3. Remove the retaining screws and pull out the ignition lock cylinder. You may need to wiggle it a bit to get it out, but be careful not to damage anything in the process.
4. Once the ignition lock cylinder is out, you can insert your key into it and turn it counterclockwise to remove it from the housing. Be sure to store this in a safe place until you’re ready to reinsert it later.
How Do You Remove an Ignition Lock Cylinder Without the Key?
Assuming you don’t have the key and need to replace the ignition lock cylinder, here is what you would need to do:
1. Remove the steering wheel. This will give you better access to the ignition lock cylinder.
To remove the steering wheel, first disconnect the battery, then unscrew the center nut that holds the steering wheel in place. You may need a special tool to remove this nut. Once it is removed, pull the steering wheel off.
2. Disconnect wiring harness from back of ignition switch. There are three wires that connect to the back of the ignition switch – two large ones and one small one. Use a flathead screwdriver or other tool to release these wires from their respective connectors.
3. Using a drill bit slightly smaller than diameter of locking pin, drill out locking pin from housing (it will be located in center of housing).Once drilling is complete, remove any debris created by drilling process using compressed air or vacuum cleaner attachment.
4. Insert new Ignition Lock Cylinder into housing making sure it is properly aligned (there should be a small notch on side of cylinder that lines up with tab on housing).
Reattach wiring harnesses making sure they are securely fastened and reconnect battery.
There are also few other ways to do this. One way is to use a pair of needle-nose pliers.
Insert the tips of the pliers into the small holes on either side of the ignition lock cylinder. Apply pressure to the pliers and turn the cylinder counterclockwise until it pops out.
Another way is to use a slim jim.
insert the slim jim into the space between the steering column and ignition lock cylinder. Apply pressure to the slim jim and turn it until the lock cylinder pops out. Once you’ve removed the ignition lock cylinder, you can replace it with a new one or have it repaired by a professional locksmith.
How Do You Drill Out a Cylindrical Lock?
If you need to drill out a cylindrical lock, it’s important to know what size and type of bit to use. The most common size is a 1/2″ bit, but you may need a smaller or larger one depending on the size of the lock. There are two types of bits that can be used: a spade bit or an auger bit.
A spade bit has two cutting edges and is more likely to damage the surrounding area when drilling. An auger bit has only one cutting edge and is less likely to damage the surrounding area.
To drill out the lock, first insert the appropriate sized drill bit into the chuck of your drill.
Slowly drill into the center of the lock using steady pressure. Once you’ve drilled through the body of the lock, pull out the drill bit and insert a small screwdriver or other tool into the hole you just created. twist this tool until it locks into place, then use it to turn the cylinder so that it unlocks.
How to Drill Out Ignition Lock Cylinder Motorcycle
If your motorcycle’s ignition lock cylinder is jammed, you may be able to drill it out without damaging the surrounding components. Here’s what you need to do:
1. Remove the gas cap and any other accessories that may be blocking access to the lock cylinder.
2. Using a small drill bit, make a hole in the center of the lock cylinder.
3. Switch to a larger drill bit and continue drilling until the diameter of the hole is large enough to fit a screwdriver or other tool inside.
4. Insert a screwdriver or other tool into the hole and turn it clockwise or counterclockwise to attempt to release the locking mechanism.
If this doesn’t work, try another tool such as a paperclip or hairpin.
5. Once the locking mechanism has been released, remove the ignition lock cylinder from its housing and replace it with a new one if necessary.
Taking Out an Ignition Lock Cylinder Without a Key Or Drill
Assuming you don’t have a key for the ignition lock cylinder, nor a drill, there are still a few ways you can remove it. Note that this will only work if the cylinder is not seized up – if it is, then your only recourse is to drill it out. First, try using a small screwdriver or nail file to push in the release button on the bottom of the cylinder.
This may or may not work, depending on how tight the fit is. If that doesn’t work, you can try removing the screws that hold the lock cylinder in place (usually two Phillips head screws). Once removed, you should be able to pull out the entire assembly.
Breaking Ignition Lock With Screwdriver
If you’re in a bind and need to break into your own car, there are a few ways you can do it. One way is to use a screwdriver to break the ignition lock. This will require some force, so be careful not to damage the ignition.
Here’s how to do it:
Find a long, thin screwdriver that will fit into the keyhole of the ignition. Insert the screwdriver into the keyhole and apply pressure to the back of the lock cylinder with your other hand.
Turn the screwdriver counterclockwise until the lock pops open. With this method, it’s possible to damage the ignition, so be careful. If you’re concerned about causing damage, you can try another method such as using a Slim Jim or credit card.