As a contractor, you work on various types of projects, from basic ones to heavy-duty tasks. A dedicated cordless tool is necessary to handle tougher jobs. Choosing the right powered cordless equipment can help you complete them more precisely.
After researching and testing dozens of tools, I have finally chosen some of the best cordless tools for contractors. They are incredibly flexible and versatile for all types of tasks. These handy power tools can take your job performance to the next level.
Best Cordless Tools For Contractors: Top 5 Pick Recommendations
If you want to work in hard-to-reach areas conveniently, DEWALT DCF885C1 Impact Driver is the perfect choice due to its compact design. With its 3 LEDs, you can see everything in the drilling areas more clearly. You will appreciate its belt hook that allows you to use the machine more easily.
DEWALT DCK283D2 Cordless Drill Combo Kit can show reliable performance for various woodworking and even DIY projects. Plus, the drills are small and ergonomic. Hence, you can achieve precise results. It comes with an external charger system to charge the depleted one effortlessly.
This SKIL CR540602 20V Cordless Circular Saw comes with a quickly adjustable bevel, which allows you to cut different items from 0 to 50 degrees. Its ultra-sharp blade has 24 teeth to cut various things efficiently and swiftly. Plus, the electrical saw features a saw line visor for straight cutting.
DEWALT DCS356D1 20V Oscillating Multi-Tool Kit includes a versatile selector. It enables you to change the speed setting in three levels based on the project requirements. Instantly replacing the blade is simple with its fast-change accessory system. You can use it for various oscillating devices. The manufacturer also provided a bright LED light to cut items precisely, even in low-light conditions. Its brushless motors run more than 50% longer time than regular tools.
If you are in the market for quick and easy changing of all included attachments, Black & Decker BDCDMT1206KITC Matrix 6 Tool Combo Kit is one of the finest choices. MATRIX Quick Connect System allows you to change out heads to complete your projects faster. Unlike many other tools, it doesn’t create unbearable sounds. Its lightweight design keeps your arm free of pain from continuous work.
Top Rated cordless tools for contractors Review
Here, I have got a wide range of tools you can use as a contractor. All of them are cordless, also come with different features and functionalities. Let’s check them out one by one.
1. DEWALT DCF885C1 -Most Reliable Cordless Impact Driver for Contractors
As a professional contractor, you will always want a tool that you can rely on. Whether it’s maneuverability or affordability, or durability, you get everything on this one. It gives you the best overall quality from all aspects.
- It offers you great maneuverability
- It comes with good durability
- It’s lightweight and compact
- Value for money
- Has an extra battery in the package
- It’s a US version impact driver kit. So, if you are outside the US, you will need to get an adapter which isn’t that big of a deal.
- It comes with a hard case rather than a soft bag. However, the hard case is quite compact, so there is nothing wrong with it.
This driver kit comes with a surprisingly lightweight design. Because of this, it becomes much more maneuverable. You can easily move around with it on your job site without aching your hands holding it.
Alongside the lightweight design, it also has a pretty compact design. You can easily get into tough-to-reach spots using this tool. The ergonomic handle on the driver gives you comfort at the same time.
The driver kit may be lightweight and compact, but it doesn’t lack torque. With the high-speed torque on this one, you can loosen or tighten screws in the blink of an eye. It saves up a lot of your time.
You also get a LED built-in on the driver kit. This gives you better visibility when you are working in a fairly dark area.
It’s a value for money impact driver kit without any questions. The quality and features you get on the kit have great value considering the price you pay for it.
This is a great impact driver kit overall. While the price is reasonable, the performance is pretty impressive as well. It’s lightweight so moving around with this tool is never a problem.
2. Makita XDT131 -Best Budget Cordless Impact Driver for Contractors
It’s quite difficult to find a high-quality professional tool within a budget. But these 18-volt drills are something of a wonder in terms of that aspect. It comes at a very affordable price with some exceptional features and qualities.
- It packs up plenty of power
- Offers variable speed trigger for better control
- Battery charges up very quickly
- Heavy-duty and durable construction
- Affordable price
- The variable speed option can be hard to control for beginners. However, once you get used to it, you can get a lot out of this feature.
- The bag you get for storage lacks protective measures. You can replace that with a hard case or box if you want.
The driver kit has got more than enough power to work with 1500 Lbs of torque. It has enough power to take off nuts that are screwed at quite a high level of torque. This means you can easily and quickly get your job done with this driver.
Another great thing about this one is the battery life. There is an 18V battery which can give you an excellent battery backup. Also, it only takes 30 minutes to charge the battery from empty to full.
It comes with a variable speed option. Because of this, you get more control over your projects and determine the speed you need for the job. It’s pretty handy when you have to work on multiple components.
The whole construction of the tool screams durability. You can rely on this one to last for a long time in the coming.
With all that glory, it also comes at an affordable price. If you spend money on this impact drill, you will never question whether it’s worth it or not. You get complete value out of this compact drill kit.
You don’t get to see this kind of tool within a budget price like this. It offers quite a lot of handy features along with good durability. At that price tag, it’s a steal for sure.
3. DEWALT DCK283D2 –Favorite Cordless Drill Combo Kit For Contractors
This is, without question, one of the best drill combo kits you can get. It fulfills most of your drilling needs with the quality and features in the package. And to satisfy you even further, it comes at a very reasonable price.
- A powerful drill combo kit
- Good battery backup
- Usable for a longer duration
- Lightweight and compact
- Worth your money
- The LED light placement is a bit unusual. Of course, it’s not a huge concern since you still get to use it.
- The drill you get in the combo isn’t the most professional one. Still, it gets the job done quite well.
You get excellent power coming from the drill combo kit. You don’t need to worry about locking your bolts in super tight with this drill kit. It works pretty smooth with that kind of power.
It has got Lithium-ion batteries that have got fuel gauge. It gives you extra capacity compared to other battery packs out there. So, you end up with better performance on both drills.
Another great thing about these drill drivers is the brushless motor. This provides your drill with better runtime compared to a brushed drill. In a way, you get to use your drill for a longer time.
The whole combo kit is pretty lightweight and compact. This way, you can control them much better and have access to tight areas.
Things get much better when you look at the price. It doesn’t cost you a fortune to get this combo. But what’s better is the kind of quality you get within that price is truly a steal.
All in all, this is a great combo pack to have a drill and an impact driver. Both the tools come with good quality and durability. The price of the combo is what makes it more appealing.
4. DEWALT DCK299M2 -Impact Driver and Hammer Drill Combo For Contractors
Just like the previous one, this is a combo. But here, you get an impact driver and a hammer drill. This is without a question one of the best combos you can find for these tools as a contractor.
- Comes with variable speed and torque settings.
- High-quality construction for better durability
- It packs up excellent power
- Battery life is pretty impressive
- Affordable price
- The drill can feel a bit large for accessing tighter spaces. Well, it’s not that big of a deal since you won’t be working on tighter spaces all the time.
- It’s not the most comfortable drill out there. It’s a bit heavy, but that’s because of a powerful battery, so it’s worth the weight.
The cordless hammer drill and driver come with three different speed settings. With this, you can have more control over your speed to suit your tasks. You can change the speed transmission depending on what material you are drilling or driving screws through.
You get plenty of power in both tools. The drill can effortlessly go through hard pieces of wood. As for the impact driving, you will have no issues driving screws in wood like pine.
Something to love about this is the huge 4A battery. It gives you backup for a long time without having to recharge at all. This saves up your time and makes the tools much more convenient to use.
The durability you get in this combo pack is commendable. You can rest assured that this drill and driver combo will last for a long time.
It’s worth your money, no doubt about there. The price is pretty reasonable for the kind of quality, features, and durability you get in the package.
Overall, this is an excellent combo pack for anyone looking to get a driver and drill combo. The performance factor on both the tools of this combo is quite good.
5. SKIL CR540602 -Best Cordless Circular Saw For Contractors
When it’s about cutting wood with ease, this is a tool that will help you a lot. It comes with power, but you don’t need to break your bank to get that power in your hand. It’s overall a great circular saw you can get for your wood cutting purposes.
- Easy to use with assistive features
- Fast and smooth operation
- High-quality battery
- Priced reasonably
- Easy to maneuver
- It’s not that great for a heavy-duty job. You won’t face any issues with the lightweight wood cutting, though.
- The laser can be off a little. But it’s not an alarming issue; it’s just slightly off sometimes.
The circular saw comes with a 2-Ah battery that backs up quite well. You get a long-running time from the battery. Also, it’s a 20-lithium battery that keeps the battery cool even after using it for a while.
It has got a 24-teeth circular blade with plenty of power. You can cut through wood quickly and pretty easily without stopping at all.
It’s very easy to use with all the features. The handle and the visor make it very easy to use. The visor works as a guideline to keep the saw straight and get accurate cuts.
It has got bevel adjustments up to a 50-degree angle with quick succession. With this feature, you can get those common angled cuts on wood.
This cordless circular saw comes at an affordable price. Considering the benefits and features you get from this, it has a reasonable price. It’s one of the best you can get within this price range.
Well, cutting wood becomes fun and easy work with this circular saw. Indeed, you don’t get to do any heavy stuff with the 2-Ah battery. But for the most part, it’s excellent for some lightweight wood cutting here and there.
6. DEWALT DCS356D1 -Best Oscillating Multi-Tool For Contractors
Now, here is a tool that you can use for multiple purposes. It’s an oscillating tool that gives you great versatility in terms of usage. There are a total of 28 attachments you can use on this one in terms of cutting and sanding.
- Top-notch battery performance
- Quick and effortless attachment changes
- 3-variable speed settings for control
- It offers great lock and unlocks features
- Comfortable to use
- The build quality feels a bit flimsy. However, it doesn’t have any serious concerns with its durability.
- You have to get all the attachments separately. This is not necessarily a con, as you get to choose your attachments based on your needs.
There is a 2-Ah battery inside the tool, which is surprisingly good. It gives you an excellent battery performance beyond anything you can expect. You can use the tool for hours with this battery runtime.
What makes this tool great is the quick-change system. Yes, you get versatility with plenty of accessories and attachments. But with the quick-change system, you can easily squeeze and lock the attachments effortlessly.
There are 3-speed settings you can choose from. This gives you the option to work on different projects with a different speed suitable for the job. It’s a great advantage to have in a multitool kit.
The tool is pretty quiet compared to other power tools. You don’t get any annoying or disturbing noise coming out from this.
It’s a very comfortable tool to have in your toolbox. It’s not that heavy and has an ergonomic design. All of the build and design of this tool just add up to the comfort.
This is an excellent multitool kit almost everyone can have. Whether you are a DIY enthusiast or a professional contractor, this is suitable for both. It has got power and performance packed in with a bit of comfort as well.
7. BLACK + DECKER BDCDMT1206KITC -Durable Cordless Combo Kit For Contractors
Black + Decker is a renowned name in the power tool industry. And this one is a combination of power tools that ensure you the best convenience. You get a wide range of power tools in a single.
- The kit is very much versatile.
- The quick-change feature makes it more convenient
- The battery runtime is somewhat decent
- The tool is lightweight and compact to use
- It saves up money and space
- It doesn’t have the most powerful motor. Still, it has enough power for DIY projects.
- This is a plastic body construction. There is nothing essentially wrong with a plastic body. Some people just don’t prefer to have a plastic-built tool.
The best thing about this one is the versatility you get in this one tool. It comes with six different tool attachments in one single machine. You get a drill, driver, sander, jigsaw, oscillating multitool, and router.
It comes with a quick-change feature to switch the attachments. You don’t need to go through a lot of hassle to change the attachments on this tool. It makes your life much easier than you would expect.
The kit comes with li-ion batteries that are always ready to go. They can hold a charge for quite some time which makes them pretty handy for use. The battery performance is all over decent.
The core of the kit is pretty lightweight and compact. Maneuvering all the tools becomes much easier for you because of this factor.
You don’t need to pay a whole lot to get all the 6-tool functionality. Considering the versatility of this tool, you will indeed be saving some bucks and space on the additional tools.
This is undoubtedly not one of the best tools for professionals. It’s more preferred by hobbyists and DIY enthusiasts. The reason is simple; you are getting a complete tool kit in one setup. This works perfectly for DIYers since they don’t need too much power anyways.
8. DEWALT DCK423D2 -Popular Power Tool Combo For Contractors
This is a combination of some powerful tools gathered into one kit. It’s without a doubt one of the most popular cordless power tools kits you can find out there. It has got plenty of power to be a professional tool combo.
- Provides 4 tools in one kit
- The tools are lightweight and compact
- All the tools come with plenty of power
- The 5Ah has an amazing capacity
- Durability is commendable
- The battery you get with the kit needs replacement. So, going for the 5Ah battery kit is the better option from the start.
- This might be a bit expensive for hobbyists and DIYers. It’s more preferable for Semi-professionals and professionals.
The best part of this tool combo kit is the 5Ah battery backup. This provides you with excellent capacity over other battery types. Also, it lasts much longer than usual batteries.
You get 4 different tools in the combo package. There is a drill, a driver, a reciprocating saw, and a circular saw. Adding to that comes the powerful LED lights which work wonders in dark spaces.
The tool combo features power throughout. It has got enough power to do professional heavy-duty jobs without any concerns. Semi-professionals find the whole thing pretty handy.
The individual tools in the kit are pretty lightweight and compact. They are easy to use and control because of that.
A great thing about this tool combo is the durability factor in all of them. All the tools are built quite heavily. You can expect good longevity from all the components in the tool kit.
This is a great tool kit with 4 essential and powerful tools. These are some fantastic cordless tools for contractors who are just starting. Surely, it could use a bit more power and better quality, but for starters, it’s a great pick either way.
Best Cordless Tools For Contractors Comparison Table
|DEWALT DCF885C1||1/4″ Impact Driver|
• Voltage -20 Volts
• Maximum Power-300 Watts
• Item Torque-1400 Inch Pounds
• Battery Cell Type-Lithium Ion
• 20V max battery (1.5 Ah) & fast charger
|Buy From Amazon|
|Makita XDT131||18V LXT Brushless Impact Driver|
• Voltage -18 Volts
• Speed-3400 RPM
• Lithium-Ion 3.0Ah Battery
• Lithium-Ion Charger
• Tool Bag
|Buy From Amazon|
|DEWALT DCK283D2||Drill/Driver & Impact Driver|
• Voltage -20 Volts
• Maximum Power-300 Watts
• Torque-1 Inch Pounds
• DCB203 20V MAX XR Lithium Ion Battery (2.0AH), Charger, Belt Hooks, Contractor Bag
|Buy From Amazon|
|DEWALT DCK299M2||½” Hammer drill, ¼” Impact Driver|
• Voltage -20 Volts
• Speed-2000 RPM
• DCB204 20V MAX XR Li-Ion Batteries (4.0Ah), Charger, Belt Hooks, 360° side handle, Contractor Bag
|Buy From Amazon|
|SKIL CR540602||Circular Saw|
• Voltage-20 Volts
• Speed-4500 RPM
• Blade Length-2 Inches
• Cutting Angle-50 Degrees
• Blade Material-High Speed Steel
• Wood Cutting Blade, Allen Key, Dust Extractor, 2.0Ah Battery
|Buy From Amazon|
|DEWALT DCS356D1||Oscillating Multi-Tool|
• Lithium Ion batteries
• Universal Accessory Adapter, Accessory Storage Box, Depth Guide, 2 Ah Battery, Charger, Kit Bag
|Buy From Amazon|
|BLACK + DECKER BDCDMT1206KITC||6 Tool Combo Kit|
• Voltage -20 Volts
• Batteries included
• Attachments For: Drill/Driver, Impact Driver, Router, Oscillating Multi-Tool, Jig Saw, Sander
|Buy From Amazon|
|DEWALT DCK423D2||4-Tool Combo|
• Drill/Driver, Circular Saw, Reciprocating Saw, Work Light
• 5 Amp Hour Battery, charger, contractor bag
|Buy From Amazon|
Best cordless tools for contractors Buyer’s guide
When it comes to choosing a cordless tool as a contractor, the decision can get tough. To make the process easier, you have to go through several factors. Here, I will go through some factors and questions you should consider while buying a cordless tool.
Let’s get it going.
Factors to consider before buying cordless tools
Now, let’s check out the factors you should go through when buying cordless tools.
The whole purpose of going cordless is convenience. You have to look for tools that provide you with ease of usage. You don’t want to go through troublesome steps to use your tool.
- The Cordless Tools in a Package
If you are going for a combo of the tool kit, then you need to check what tools are there. You need to consider whether you need those tools for your purposes or not. You shouldn’t get a combo of tool kits if you do not use the tools in it.
For a cordless tool, the battery is the most important part. It’s like the heart for the cordless tool. If you want to work for long hours, you will need a battery to back you up with the runtime.
Also, you should replace the batteries of your cordless tools when you see the performance declining. This means when you start getting inefficiency in your cordless tool performance, you may need to replace the battery because it has weakened over time. You should look for compatible batteries for your power tool.
- Power and Torque
Power and torque are things to consider based on your job. If you want to do heavy-duty work with your tools, you will need a tool with a lot of power.
Also, with tools that involve torque, such as a sander, drill, driver, and so on, you have to consider the torque. Try looking for different torque settings as well.
- Chuck size
When you are buying a drill, you have to consider the chuck size for it. There are two standard chuck sizes you get to see for drills. It’s either a 1/2 inch chuck or a 3/8 inch chuck. The 1/2 inch is bigger than the 3/8 inch chuck, hence it’s used for heavier jobs.
These sizes usually indicate two things. One is the shank size capacity. So, a drill with a smaller chuck size won’t fit a drill bit with a larger shank size. Another thing is the power and capability. With a larger chuck size, you get more powerful performance from the drill.
- Brushless motor
In the battle of brushed vs brushless motor, a clear winner for your tools is the brushless motor. Here’s why,
A Brushless motor in your tools is a great advantage to have over brushed DC motors. They are much more efficient in performance. You get better and more powerful performance coming out of a brushless motor compared to a brushed one. So, try going for tools that come with brushless motors.
- Variable Speed Trigger
If you want control over the speed of your tool, then a variable speed trigger is a must to consider. It gives you different speed settings to work around. However, if you are a beginner, you will need some time to get used to this option.
Lastly, you have to consider how much you are willing to spend on your power tool. If you are a professional, you should always go for the best quality regardless of the price.
As for DIYers and hobbyists, it’s important to maintain the balance. Because you don’t need professional quality power or precision in your tools, so, going for expensive tools won’t be worth it for you.
Various Cordless Power Tools & Their Uses
Different types of cordless power tools are available in the market. Here are the most popular ones.
Drill Driver is one of the most versatile and common tools to use drive screws and drill holes. You can set up a particular power level to drive screws based on the size and hole. Whether it is wood, metal, or plastic, you can drill holes for all.
One of the most popular cordless power tools is the hammer drill. It spins backward and forward with a rapid hammering action. Surfaces like masonry, concrete, and stone are ideal for this drill machine. These power tools come in handy for people who handle a lot of masonry tasks.
A rotary hammer is another powerful cordless tool ideal for heavy-duty jobs like drilling and chiseling. Its piston system can drill bulky anchor holes quickly. Also, rotary hammers deliver additional impact energy and hammer blow.
A Reciprocating Saw is a specially designed electrical saw that is ideally suitable for demolition and construction jobs. This saw comes in handy to cut various things such as PVC, metal, wood, etc. It features a horizontal blade that allows you to cut items in a push-and-pull motion.
A circular saw is equipped with a swiftly spinning toothed disc that is used by many carpenters and cabinetmakers to cut different items. Its blade is round and sharp, which requires you to implement a rotary motion to cut through straight wood, metal, or plastic materials.
An Oscillating Multi-tool is a highly versatile tool that you can utilize for grinding, sanding, scraping, polishing, and sawing. It has compact and portable that allows you to use different types of blades based on your project requirement. It can cut items precisely in limited quarters.
A grinder is a special electrical device that allows you to grind different things. Contractors use this tool to create a particular finish on the surface. After all, they are not prone to add any ridges to the surface. You can use grinders on aluminum, plastic, brass, steel, iron, etc.
A material blower can effortlessly improve the velocity of gas or air. This tool is highly versatile to use for different purposes such as cooling, exhausting, conveying, ventilating, aspirating, etc. They are entirely safe to use as they don’t leave any oil droplets or residue.
What are the Advantages and Disadvantages of Corded vs. Cordless Contractor Tools?
The first thing to ask is why cordless? Well, there are several advantages to cordless tools. And there are some disadvantages too. Let’s take a quick look at them.
- First, the obvious advantage of the cordless tool is the convenience. It’s much easier and less troublesome to work with a cordless tool. You don’t have to deal with all the trouble that you get with cords (i.e., tangling cables)
- Cordless tools are much more portable. You can carry them easily almost anywhere. You don’t get to do that with corded tools.
- You can use cordless tools almost anywhere. As long as you have a battery to power the tool, you can use it whether indoors or outdoors.
- You don’t need to worry about a sudden power outage with cordless tools as they run on battery. On the other hand, corded tools will turn off in the middle of your work when the power goes out.
- Since cordless tools run on a battery, their power is limited. At the same time, corded tools tend to have much more power and are suitable for heavier jobs.
- Cordless tools have a time limit that is the same as their battery life. With corded tools, you have no such limitations; you can work for hours without worrying.
- Corded tools are much more efficient than cordless tools in usage.
Which is the best cordless power tool brand For Contractors?
Well, it’s hard to take one name for the best brand. There are many power tool companies that professional contractors rely on, such as DeWalt, Milwaukee, Bosch, Makita, Ridgid, Black, and Decker, etc. These are, without any question, the top dogs of cordless power tools for contractors.
All in all, the overall quality of the best cordless tools for contractors I listed here is top-notch. You can easily choose any one of them and end up satisfied with the results. However, there are some things you should look out for.
When you are choosing a product make sure, you are considering your purpose first. Because different tools here fulfill different purposes, some are great for professionals, and some are best for DIYers. You can simply choose one based on your purpose, budget, and style you like.
To make the best decision go through the whole thing and also take suggestions from the buying guide. It will surely help you end up with the choice that suits your needs the best.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- What Kind Of Drills Do Contractors Use Most?
Cordless drills are mostly used by contractors due to their portability, easy movement, lightweight construction, lack of wires, and flexibility.
- What Company Has The Most Cordless Tools?
Many brands are available in the market that sells a wide variety of cordless tools. But Bosch, Hitachi, and Dewalt are the three top companies that sell various types of power tools.
- Is Porter Cable a contractor-grade?
The hand power tools of Porter-Cable can show better performance than Milwaukee, Dewalt, and Bosch. Their exceptional quality and durability surely make them contractor grade.