So, you like cutting ice, but you hate carrying all the cords and wires around for the thing to work? We feel you. Ice augers have come a long way from those extra-long extension cords that you had to plug into an electrical connection to make them work.
But you must be wondering, how would anyone find the best cordless drill for ice auger? Well, you found them! We took the liberty to find such drills that have a safe yet useful voltage, 2000+ RPM speed, high battery life, and even LED spotlights for those night ice cutting sessions.
So, let’s get into these product reviews so we can help you find the perfect drill for your auger, now, shall we?
3 Best Cordless Drill For Ice Auger Comparison Table
|Model||Torque (lbs.)/ Power (W)||Speed (RPM)||Voltage||Price|
|Milwaukee 2704-20||1200 lbs.||2000||18V||Check Price|
|DEWALT DCD996B||300 Watts||2250||20V||Check Price|
|DEWALT Flexvolt Advantage DCD999B||300 Watts||2000||20V||Check Price|
6 Top Rated Best Cordless Drills For Ice Auger Review
Read our detailed reviews below with all the pros and cons and decide whether you should be putting your money on these cordless drills or not.
1. Milwaukee 2704-20 M18 -Best Cordless Hammer Drill For Ice Auger
Starting off this list with this amazing hammer drill by Milwaukee, which really does meet and somewhat exceed our expectations. If you are looking for an amazing hammer drill that is also cordless, we cannot suggest a better option than this one. Let us explain why we claim so.
Features and Benefits
- This drill can offer up to 1200 lbs. of peak torque which means that it generates a high amount of force when drilling.
- Aside from force, it also has a high-speed revolution of 2000 RPM, which means it can smoothly drill through the ice without causing a lot of unnecessary damage. You can expect a near-perfect ice circle with this kind of speed and precision.
- The voltage needed to charge this hammer drill is only 18V, which isn’t a lot considering the high performance that it provides.
- And the battery is super-efficient with a whopping battery life of 12 amp/hour. These batteries last well over a year if taken care of properly.
- Lastly, it has a feature called REDLINK PLUS, which works intelligently to prevent any kind of possible damage to the drill itself and the battery from overheating or overloading.
- High torque offers optimum force for ice augers
- The high speed ensures smooth hammering
- Impressive battery life that lasts long
- Does not require high voltage to charge
- No overheating issue
- Batteries are not included in the package
- The force may not be enough for thick sheets of ice
In our opinion, this hammer drill is the best cordless hammer drill for ice auger due to its impressively high torque, drilling speed, and battery life. You cannot go wrong with the raw power on this baby, not to mention the high drilling speed as well as high performing battery. Our recommendation is to mount it on the Clam ice auger kit with a StrikeMaster 8″ laser auger. This auger kit set up can effortlessly handle a lot of drilling.
If you’re in the US, this is a must-have. Internationally, check the voltage and outlet specs before purchasing.
2. DEWALT DCD996B 20V -Best DeWalt Cordless Drill For Ice Auger
If you are familiar with ice augers and hammer drills, we are certain you have heard of the brand DEWALT. They are known for producing some of the best hardware items, particularly for ice augers and similar products. This hammer drill might as well be their best one yet.
Features and Benefits
- This one has 3-speed settings where you can set it between 0-38, 250 BPM, and 2250 RPM, and it offers 82% more power to the ice auger.
- It requires 20V of voltage to power itself up. This is slightly higher than the previous product; however, it is standard voltage, ensuring a higher power. Due to this, it generates up to 820 watts of energy that adds to the speed.
- Aside from that, it comes with LED lights with 3 different modes so that you can illuminate the spot you’re cutting the ice to see better at night time.
- Besides, it features this ½ inch ratcheting metal chuck that is nitro-carburized with carbide inserts that offer superior gripping.
- We don’t know the battery’s specifications but know that it offers 75% more runtime than the 18V NiCard motors. It uses rechargeable Lithium-ion batteries, making it an amazing cordless option.
- The high-speed setting of up to 2250 RPM ensures smooth drilling
- 20V voltage, making it low power consuming
- Delivers up to 820 watts of energy for heavy hammer drilling
- LED lights offer light for ice augers in dark conditions
- Great battery life that ensures 75% more power than the 18W NiCard motors
- It does not come with the batteries
- Not the best for regular drilling
This DEWALT hammer drill is undoubtedly one of the best DEWALT cordless drills for ice auger for its high drilling speed and 75% extra power exertion. Do check the voltage for your outlets before charging the drill, though.
3. DEWALT Flexvolt Advantage DCD999B -Best Drill For StrikeMaster Lite Flite
If you liked the previous DEWALT drill but wanted something slightly different, we’ve got your back. Coming at a slightly lower price, the Flexvolt is a toned-down version of the previous DEWALT cordless drill.
We won’t go as far as to call this the best drill for StrikeMaster Lite-Flite; however, it certainly is an amazing fit for the ice auger.
Features and Benefits
- Offering a maximum drilling speed of up to 2000 RPM, the Flexvolt is certainly a force to be reckoned with. At this speed, it ensures smooth drilling at a fast pace. Besides this, it also has 3-speed modes: 0-450, 0-1300, 0-2000, so you can adjust it to your drilling needs.
- The power consumption is standard DEWALT voltage at only 20V. As we have mentioned earlier, this is pretty decent power usage.
- Compatible and great with the StrikeMaster Lite-Flite ice auger making it a great overall option.
- It comes with Connect Chip DCE042 and the Tool Connect Site Manager application, which make it easier to access on job sites. This is a great feature that offers a bit of automation.
- On top of that, it features a spotlight mode where you can light up the LED lights for working in low-light or dark environments. These LEDs offer 20 times brighter light than the ones the competitions offer.
- The grip on this baby is unmatched. You can grab the handle of this hammer drill and feel how sturdy it feels.
- High drilling speed of up to 2000 RPM for smooth drills
- 3-speed modes for controlling the speed and force for drilling
- Decent power consumption of only 20V
- 20x brighter LED lights for brightening up dark ice boards
- Impressively strong grips for sturdy ice drilling
- Also doesn’t come with batteries
- Not as powerful as the previous DEWALT option
- The Connect Chip might seem like overkill (and very confusing)
If you have a smaller budget and want something that offers great drilling power that consumes less voltage, this is undoubtedly one of the best possible options.
4. Milwaukee 2803-20 M18 -Most Demanding Ice Auger Drill
We found another amazing product from Milwaukee that we couldn’t help but include. Coming as the most demanding ice auger drill, this one sure pack a punch!
Features and Benefits
- Following the trend of high drilling speeds, this one by Milwaukee runs at a speed of max 2000 RPM. As you can tell, this is a pretty decent speed for your hammer drills.
- Also, similar to the first Milwaukee drill on this list, this one consumes only 18V of voltage, making it less power-consuming and efficient.
- The drill driver provides up to 60% higher power than all competitions. You can expect a max torque of 1200 lbs. just like the other one we reviewed. This high torque offers the necessary force for cutting and drilling through ice smoothly
- This one also features LED lights for use in dark situations. We see this common among all the hammer drills on this list, and Milwaukee does it pretty well.
- The REDLITHIUM XC5.0 is the battery pack that you use with this hammer drill for ice augers, and it delivers way more performance per charge than you would expect. We would put it somewhere between the efficiency of the Milwaukee 2704-20 and the DEWALT Flexvolt.
- Impressively high drilling speed of up to 2000 RPM
- Consumes only 18V of voltage, making it energy efficient
- Offers more than 60% of power at a torque of 1200 lbs
- Features LED lights for darker situations
- The battery pack offers more work per charge than competitors
- You need to buy battery pack separately
- The grip isn’t as strong as the others
- It’s ON switch is a bit hard to trigger
Weighing out all the pros and cons, we think this deserves the hype for being the most demanding ice augers drill due to its affordable nature, high speed, and impressive torque. With all being said, there is a similar power tool in Milwaukee 2801-20, which can also be found in renewed condition and you can save plenty.
5. Ryobi P251 One+ 18V -Best Budget Ice Auger Drill
Well, if you think all the previous entries were too overpriced for your liking, we certainly have an even more affordable option for you. Presenting the best budget ice auger drill, the Ryobi P251 One+ drill.
Features and Benefits
- Due to its price point, the force exertion on this hammer drill is comparatively lower than the ones from before. It comes with a torque of 750 inches per lbs. with 24 position clutches. This makes it a good option for when you want to put light pressure on delicate ice floors.
- It features 3 different drilling modes: hammer mode, drilling more, and driving mode. So, you can use this drill however you prefer depending on your needs.
- You get two handles on this device, making it easier to grip and drill into the ice. The grip is very comfortable and easy to use. You can use with Nils master UR600C Cordless drill auger. They may not be cheap, but definitely one of the most popular ice auger on the market.
- Similar to the Milwaukee ones, this one also has a power consumption of only 18V, making it more energy-efficient than a lot of the other ones on this list.
- It also comes with this magnetic bit holder at the base of the drill, which allows you to keep fasteners and bits secured to your drill. This helps you attach and detach your ice augers to your cordless drill conveniently.
- It offers an optimum torque of 750 inches per lbs
- Features 3 different drill modes for different purposes
- The comfortable grip that allows ease of use
- Optimum power consumption at only 18V
- Very affordable and cheaper than all other alternatives here
- As expected, batteries not included
- Not as powerful as the other entries
- Does not come LED lights
If you consider the price, there isn’t a better one. While it lacks a few features that its counterparts have, it makes up for the overall quality. You can buy it if you have a tight budget.
6. Makita XPH07Z 18V -Best Functional Ice Auger Drill
And to conclude this list, we have a hammer drill meant for ice augers by the brand Makita. The XPH07Z is considered to be the best functional ice auger drill on this list. Let’s explain why.
Features and Benefits
- While it doesn’t pump up the numbers as the rest do, it offers decent speed, force, and efficiency. It comes with a max speed of 2100 RPM, which is on par with the top ones on this list.
- On the other hand, it exerts up to 1090 lbs. of force when drilling into the ice beds. This may not be as high as the Milwaukee ones, but it is quite good when you consider the amount of force that is required to break the ice (which is roughly around 1000 lbs.)
- The BL motor optimizes battery usage, making it far more efficient than it may seem. On that note, it has a very good battery life, a battery that does not need any replacing for well over a couple of years.
- Similar to the Milwaukee and Ryobi ones, this one also consumes a voltage of only 18V, making this one very energy efficient like the other ones.
- And lastly, the grip is great on this bad boy, so you need not worry about it slipping off while cutting ice.
- Impressive drilling speed at 2100 RPM
- The BL motor optimizes battery performance making it more efficient
- It consumes less power at only an 18V voltage
- Great gripping on the drill itself
- Very easy to use with user-friendly settings
- The force exertion is not as high as the previous ones
- Batteries are not included and need to be bought separately
- It is a bit on the pricier side
Although the price is a bit higher than you would expect, the functionality makes it worth every penny. If you don’t like the ones from before, you can give this one a try and see if it works for you.
Frequently Asked Questions While Buying Cordless Drill for Ice Auger
1. Are hand ice augers hard to use?
People typically think the hand-held ice augers are tougher to use. While it is somewhat true since you have to hold onto them with a force so that they don’t cause any accidents, the functions and controls are not difficult to understand when used correctly. So, you can easily use hand ice augers.
2. What drill is recommended for the Eskimo pistol bit?
For an Eskimo pistol bit, we would recommend the cordless mud mixer drill by Milwaukee for its efficiency and high drilling power. It is a must-have if you are going fishing at places you need ice augers. Our top recommendation Milwaukee 2810-20 has a heavy duty gear train & it can provide the excessive torque required to turn an ice drill.
If you are still undecided about which the best cordless drill for ice auger is, let’s just make it simple for you. Take our word for it and go for the Milwaukee 2704-20 because of its high torque and speed and low power consumption. Due to this efficiency, we recommend this for using with ice augers.
Although it’s slightly on the expensive side, we’d still vouch for it because these drills are worth every penny you spend on them. So, be sure to check it out, and also the other ones in case you don’t like our top pick and want to choose one yourself.